11 April 2009

Travelling with Marmite.

image

I was amused by Robert Fisk’s piece in the Indy on Marmite. I never thought I would have anything in common with one of the most sharp-eyed commentators on the Middle East.  I have been reading his stuff for years.  When, as a student in the ‘70’s, I  would purchase The Times at half price, he was their NI correspondent. He is a brilliant journalist.

We writes about how he grew up with Marmite and how it follows him round the world.  Indeed so.  I also grew up with the stuff and it comes with me wherever I go.

I have always been amused by the blank looks from customs staff when they inspect your luggage or from hotel staff when you smuggle a jar into the breakfast room in a far away hotel.  Once, when I was with colleagues, I left my Marmite jar on the table to go to the buffet.  On my return the jar and been empted of the contents.  I was not amused.

I will let Robert into a secret, and any MPs who wish to claim for the delicacy.  Vegemite is much better.

Digg This

No comments:

Post a Comment