02 May 2010

"The sweetest old lady in England"

Gillian Duffy has spoken in a dignified way about her chance encounter with Gordon Brown last Wednesday:
You know the thing that upset me the most wasn’t the word bigot.
It was the way he called me “that woman”. I’m not “that woman”. It’s no way to talk of someone, that, is it? As if I’m to be brushed away. Why couldn’t he have said “that lady”?
And:
‘I know later Gordon blamed Sue [Nye, his gatekeeper] for introducing me but it wasn’t Sue,’ Gillian says adding with genuine concern. ‘I was that worried about Sue. I thought, “I hope she doesn’t lose her job.” I was looking for her on telly the next day and I was very glad to see her there with Gordon in Birmingham.
Now that she has given her side of the story, let's hope the media leave her in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment